Monday, May 2, 2011
Amelienborg palace,located in Frederiksstaden was founded by King Frederick V (the one that built the whole district) to commemorate 300 years since his family, Oldenburg, was continuously reigning the country. The project was lead by Lord High Steward Adam Gottlob Moltke while the royal architect was Nicolai Eigtved. The final result is a notable exemple of European Baroque style.
Initially the palace was planned to be the home of the noble families, but after the Christiansborg Palace burnt down in 1794, the royal family moved into Amelienborg after buying it. Now it is the winter residence of the Danish royal family.
The palace complex consist of four identical mansions, surrounding an octagonal courtyard.
The four palaces are:
- the southwestern one, Christian VII's Palace, originally known as Moltke's Palace. It was erected between 1750-1754 and is the most expensive of them, having very extravagant interiors in rococo style.
- the northwestern one, Christian VIII's Palace, originally known as Levetzau's Palace. It was built for Privy Councillor Count Christian Frederik Levetzau between 1750-1760. In the present days, Crown Prince Frederik lived here until 2004.
- the northeastern one, Frederick VIII's Palace, originally known as Brockdorff's Palace. It was originally built for Count Joachim Brockdorff in the 1750s and later it was the home of Military Academy. Queen Dowager Ingrid lived here until she died in 2000.
- the southeastern one Christian IX's Palace, originally known as Schack's Palace. It has been the home of the royal couple since 1967 who also restored the palace when they moved in it, in 1967.
In the middle of the courtyard we can see, Frederick V, in an equestrian representation. The statue was made by french sculptor Jacques-Francois-Joseph Saly, between 1753 and 1771 (after King Frederik V's death).