Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Bucharest - Fundatia Universitara Carol I


This building has been raised by the initiative of the king Carol I, who wanted to provide a modern library for the students. The works began in 1891 and the library was opened in 1895. The building was initially smaller and the façade from the image was built later (1911 - 1914) by the French architect Paul Gottereau.

Bucharest - Fundatia Universitara Carol I

During the world wars, the edifice was an important place of the Romanian cultural life. However starting with the World War II, the black period of the building began. Firstly, it was affected by the american bombardment, then the communists change its name to ”Biblioteca Central Universitara C.I.Parhon”, removing the name of the Carol I. Later, during the 1989 Revolution, the tanks were shooting the building, partially destroying it. It was renovated based on the initial plans. A statue of Carol I is placed in front of the building.

Bucharest - Fundatia Universitara Carol I

No comments:

Post a Comment