Saturday, October 29, 2011

Bucharest - Palace of the Parliament

Palace of the Parliament from Bulevardul Unirii
Palace of the Parliament seen from Bulevardul Unirii

Palace of the Parliament, well known in Bucharest as "People's House", is now the home of the Romanian Parliament. It was designed by Anca Petrescu as chief architect for a group of 700 architects and was almost completed during the Ceausescu regime. Its original purpose was to host the political and administrative power. Palace of Parliament was named House of the Republic (Casa Republicii) by the Ceausescu, but Romanians call it the People's House (Casa Poporului).

Palace of the Parliament from Cismigiu Park
Palace of the Parliament seen from Cismigiu Park

The erection of The Palace started on 25 June 1984, for its construction being demolished the Bucharest's historic district, including many churches and residences. Ceausescu intended to make this Palace his own residence and to move all four state institutions (The Presidency of the Republic, The Great National Assembly, Council of Ministers and Supreme Court) under the same roof. The Palace has a rectangular shape and measures 270mx240mx86m and 92m underground.

Palace of the Parliament from Bulevardul Libertatii
Palace of the Parliament seen from Bulevardul Libertatii

With a floorspace of 340.000 m2, the building counts 12 floors, 1100 rooms and 2 underground parking garages. It, also, has four underground levels and another four in different stages of completion. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the Palace is the most expensive, the heaviest and the largest civilian building in the world.

Palace of the Parliament from Bulevardul Unirii
Palace of the Parliament seen from Bulevardul Unirii

No comments:

Post a Comment